As we move ahead in this new year, many have set resolutions and possibly have already broken said resolutions. Many have explored hopes and dreams and some possibly have already given up, deciding this year won’t be any different than the rest. But…
What if this year could be different? What if it will be different? What if dreams can come true? What if you really do have the power to make them a reality?
I invite you to make 2014 the year of curiosity. Make it a year where you ask, “What if?” in a positive way, not the dread filled way of the past. May this be the year you try out new things just to see if they really work. Use 2014 as a time to explore new choices to your old problems. Who knows, a solution may be just around the corner.
In order to help start the process, here is some food for thought:
· What if you gave up 15 minutes a day from the Internet to read a motivational book instead?
· What if you looked at your enemy through the lens of compassion instead of blame?
· What if you told your body it is beautiful while you apply lotion?
· What if you tried something new and found out that you are actually good at it?
· What if you counted to 10 before yelling at your kids? Wonder if you would still need to yell?
· What if you said yes to a date with someone who isn’t your “type”?
· What if you tried broccoli again and realized those little beady things didn’t feel so bad on your tongue after all? (This one is mine.)
Grace to you as you explore the year of what if!
Jenny Emerson, LMFT, LMT